Everything tastes better when it’s served in cute individual portions. While planning my menu for a pasta themed party, I knew I wanted to serve a leafy salad to complement the rich pasta. A Caesar salad was the most logical choice. But I wanted to do something creative with the display and serving of the salad for this extra special party. That’s when it hit me. I’ll serve it in individual baked wonton cups.
I learned a valuable lesson while testing this recipe before the party. My original plan was to coat the insides of my jumbo muffin pans with cooking spray and then gently press the eggroll wrappers along the inside of each muffin cavity. However, I discovered the walls kept caving in during the baking process and left me with a crispy wonton mess.
Eureka! It took a few minutes of intense thought to realize the solution to the problem could be solved by simply turning the pans upside down. I also discovered this step created a much more wide-mouthed bowl that was perfect for holding the leafy fillings.
My guests loved the idea and they ate every last cup. I’m looking forward to using this new technique on even more fun creations.
- 6 eggroll wrappers (thaw if frozen)
- cooking spray
- jumbo muffin pan
- 6 cups romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1/3 cup bottled caesar dressing
- 1/3 cup parmesan cheese, shredded
- 1/4 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- salt and pepper
- For baked wonton cups: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Turn the muffin tin upside down and coat the pan with cooking spray. Gently mold a single eggroll wrapper each muffin bump-out to form a wonton cup. Lightly spray the tops of the eggroll wrappers with cooking spray.
- Bake the cups at 350 degrees for about 6 minutes, or until the wontons are crisp and golden. Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly before removing the wonton cups from the muffin pan molds.
- For Caesar salad: Gently toss the romaine lettuce and Caesar dressing in a large mixing bowl until leaves are completely coated. Add parmesan cheese and toss until evenly distributed. Fill each wonton cup with about 1 cup of dressed salad. Top each cup with tomatoes. Season with salt and pepper.