Weekend brunch in Chicago was a perfect opportunity to people watch over a steamy cup of hot coffee and a batch of freshly fried piles of goodness. I can’t tell you the number of times I would be sitting on a sidewalk patio watching the world go by when a tragic mess would get seated next to me. The look was always the same. Wrinkled clothes and spiked heals that looked like she effortlessly graced the floor of a local club the night before. Her make-up smears peaking through the dark sunglasses that blocked the harsh rays of the sun. She was having what I called, “the hangover brunch”. You know what I’m talking about ladies. We’ve all had the experience at least once. It was a grand time the night before and a sorry desire to relieve the pain with coffee the next day.
I decided to make myself a heaping plate of brunch goodness in honor of “the hangover brunch.” For those of you that wake-up on Saturday morning and say, “those shots were not a good idea.” I raise my fork to you and salute. Cheers.
- 2/3 cup tomato, medium diced
- 3 Tbl. yellow onion, small diced
- 1 Tbl. jalapeño, minced
- 3 tsp. lime juice, fresh squeezed
- 3 eggs
- 3 (6 inch) corn tortillas
- 1/4 cheddar cheese, shredded
- cooking spray
- salt and pepper to taste
- Begin by tossing the tomatoes, onion, jalapeno, and lime juice in a medium mixing bowl. Set the fresh tomato salsa aside.
- Preheat a nonstick fry pan over medium heat. Lightly coat cooking spray across the entire surface of the pan and add one corn tortilla. Heat one side of the tortilla for 15 - 20 seconds and then flip over.
- Next, sprinkle one third of the shredded cheese on top of the tortilla. Cook the tortilla for about 30 seconds or until the cheese is melted. Repeat this process for the additional tortillas. Arrange all three cheesy tortillas evenly on a plate.
- In the same fry pan, cook the eggs to your desired style. I like mine cooked over easy by frying the egg on one side for 45 seconds and then flip. Cook the remaining side for an additional 45 seconds. Place all the cooked eggs on top of the toasted tortillas.
- Top the layered tortilla and eggs with the fresh tomato salsa. Salt and pepper the dish to taste.