I will never understand the appeal of American football.
While shopping for a dimmer switch at Home Depot, a man approached me and asked, “How ‘bout them Steelers?”
Without missing a beat I responded, “I’m sorry. I don’t follow baseball teams well enough to know.” His expression shifted from startled to beet red angry in a matter of seconds. He turned around in a huff, the name “Rothsenberg” and the number “7” clearly printed across the back of his shirt, and walked away.
I later learned the man had a legitimate reason for getting upset. The Steelers is not a baseball team at all. They play football. And, at the time, I had not lived in Pittsburgh long enough to understand the sheer magnitude of loyalty this city has for the team. So my naivety was perceived as a personal insult. Oops.
There’s only one reason why I watch the Super Bowl. Not for the commercials. Not for the half-time show. It’s for the food! There’s no better excuse than Super Bowl Sunday for diving into heaping bowls of guacamole dip, pulled pork sandwiches stacked in a pyramid, a helmet full of cheese puffs and these spicy sticky wings. All washed down with a can of ice-cold beer.
- 2 pounds chicken wings
- 2 Tbl. olive oil
- 3/4 cup apricot preserves
- 2 Tbl. Worcestershire sauce
- 2 Tbl. light brown sugar
- 1 Tbl. soy sauce
- 1 Tbl. Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. sweet paprika
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp. ground powdered ginger
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Remove the wing tip and separate the drummettes into two pieces. In a large bowl, toss the wing pieces in olive oil. Evenly space the chicken pieces on the baking sheet, and season with salt and pepper.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 30 – 35 minutes or until golden brown. Turn halfway to ensure even browning.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the sauce ingredients in a small saucepan. Cook the sauce over medium high heat for 3-4 minutes, or until the sauce thickens.
- Brush the sauce over the cooked wings, coating both sides. Baked for an additional 1-2 minutes. Repeat. Serve immediately.